As we move into 2017 it’s a great idea to take some time at the beginning of the year to get off to the right start. After the excitement and hustle and bustle of the holidays has ended, there are a number of tasks regarding your non-profit that require your attention. As the Executive Director, it’s your responsibility to make sure that these tasks don’t fall through the cracks.
- Buy/update your calendar system. One of my favorite tasks of the new year is to break in my new annual agenda. It’s the one place in my life where I still use paper.
- Update your annual marketing plan. Make note of any items that may need to be updated, scheduled, tweaked etc.
- Verify the expiration dates on insurance policies, passports, and any lease agreements or contracts.
- Review the communication schedule with your membership base. Are you connecting on the important topics when you need to?
- Review your employee handbook. Have there been any changes in policy or employment law that will need to be updated?
- Notify your Board of Directors of the upcoming meeting schedule for the year. The sooner you get the dates on their calendars the more likely you will be to avoid schedule conflicts.
- Review your records retention policy. It’s now time to shred those older documents and update your archives.
- Close out the previous year’s budget with the end of year numbers.
- Calculate your annual member retention rate. What are your plans to improve the number?
- Review the documents you will need to provide your accountant to complete you annual 990
Taking the time at the beginning of the year to these tasks will help to ensure that 2017 gets off to a great start!