Facebook groups are a great way to create a community, whether public or private. Groups can be thought of as an online special interest group where folks come together for a common cause or interest. You can find a group on nearly every topic imagined. Within the group you can share not only discussions, but photos and documents. When appropriate, you can even have a moderator for the group that controls the content as it is posted.
The ten things you need to know about Facebook Groups:
- When creating a group, you will need to decide if the group is public, private or secret. A private group can be found through the Facebook search and the user must request to join. A secret group is by invitation only.
- As the Admin you can allow for members to add other members or restrict this to only admins
- It is highly recommended to create a “Pinned Post” to explain the rules of the group
- Even un-moderated groups need to be moderated
- Customize the notifications so that you can monitor activity
- Customize the address so that you have an easy to find & share URL
- Create a file cabinet for documents that can be downloaded and shared
- Remind your Admins & Members that no one should be automatically added to the group without prior permission
- Create engaging group cover photos
- Use polls to engage group members
Facebook groups are a powerful way to create a community around an area of interest. Whether for personal interests or professional, they serve as a tool for increased learning, collaboration and fun!